Friday, April 6, 2012

Hummingbird Pancakes

Don't get me wrong, getting a day off school is a wonderful feeling, but often I try to fit in errands, appointments, and the the like.  It can sometimes devolve into a day of waiting rooms, lines at the post office, and paying bills.  Today was different.  I gave myself a complete and total free day.  So what did I do with my free day? I cooked, of course!

Talking to a friend at school yesterday about pancakes had me craving them this morning.  I've been training a lot lately and trying to keep a slim waistline, so I set out to find a healthy recipe.  After some internet research, I discovered you can make pancakes by putting egg whites, old fashioned oats, and any other flavorings in a food processor. Genius, right?

I decided to try it using the ingredients in my favorite cake, hummingbird cake.  Now, these are not light and fluffy pancakes.  I would describe them as stick-to-your-ribs pancakes, as they are high in protein and all other sorts of yummy nutrients. You won't even want to put butter on them.  Here's the recipe:

Hummingbird Pancakes


For the pancakes:
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 egg whites
1 t honey
1/2 overripe, mashed banana
3 T crushed pineapple (make sure you include some juice in that)
1/2 t baking powder
pinch of cinnamon

Toppings:
sliced banana
fresh pineapple chunks
toasted coconut
toasted pecans, chopped
greek yogurt, mixed with honey and pineapple juice to thin out (this will be the syrup)

Directions: 
1. Put all the pancake ingredients into the food processor and process until smooth and runny.


2. Cook like you would normal pancakes.
                               
3. Top with all the yummy toppings, and you have hummingbird cake in a pancake.  Enjoy!


Lunch was Greek quinoa with tuna. I also made a Mexican casserole to freeze for lunches. Look for those recipes soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment