Thursday, May 24, 2012

Buffalo Cravings

I'm not really one for chain restaurants, but I do have a permanent and unabated weakness for the following:
  1. Bojangles. Cajun Filet biscuit with bo rounds. Girl, please. 
  2. Chili's. Southwestern Egg Rolls. Former Employee. Can't hate.
  3. California Pizza Kitchen. Not as illustrious as it once was, but Sante Fe Chicken is still friggin' awesome. 
  4. Buffalo Wild Wings. I'm not sure what it is about BWW because let's be honest, there are better wings and burgers elsewhere, but there is something about the atmosphere, the monthly beer specials, the eight thousand TVs that is simply intoxicating. 
I think I just crave wings all the time, and I know exactly what I'm going to eat as soon as I enter BWW. My one and only flavor choice is the plain hot wing sauce, medium heat. I don't want any Asian Zing or Jamaican Jerk touching my wings. 

I was craving that hot wing flavor last weekend, so instead of eating it on fried chicken skin, I opted for a slightly healthier approach.

Here's what I came up with:

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with Blue Cheese Slaw

Chicken:
I roasted three chicken breasts very simply. I put softened butter chunks between the skin and meat, oiled the skin with olive oil, then salted and peppered generously. I roasted the breasts at 350 for about 30 minutes. You could also do skinless, boneless for an even healthier option. Once they cooled, I picked the meat off and shredded it. I added a couple tablespoons of Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce (Medium) and a teaspoon of a ranch dressing packet per chicken breast. You should taste and adjust the sauce to your liking at this point.

Slaw:
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 T mayo
2 T rice vinegar (could also use any kind though) 
small squeeze of brown mustard
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 c blue cheese crumbles
1 T milk (optional; I like my slaw on the runny side)
2 1/2 cups pre shredded cole slaw cabbage
Seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, splenda

Mix the first seven ingredients together to make the dressing. Add the cabbage and mix well. Season with salt, pepper, and the tiniest sprinkling of splenda. Adjust seasonings as you will. If you want a runnier slaw, add more milk. 

I piled up the chicken on a sandwich round and topped it with a scoop of the slaw. It so hit the spot. Buffalo Wild Wings Who? 



No comments:

Post a Comment