Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lasagna Cupcakes

Calling all parents!  This is a great idea for cooking with children, especially lots of picky children.  But don't get me wrong; I'm not a child, and I'm not picky, yet I loved making them, and I loved eating them.  Similar recipes are on the internet, but it's much more fun to set it up buffet-style and mix and match as you choose.

What you'll need:

  • 1 package wonton wrappers (or egg roll wrappers, cut into four pieces)
  • marinara sauce
  • white sauce (I made a quick béchamel, then added parmesan cheese, basil, and lemon for more flavor.)
  • 1 lb browned ground meat (I used ground turkey and mixed it with some of the marinara sauce post-browning.)
  • an assortment of cooked vegetables (I used mushrooms, zucchini, kale, and broccoli.)
  • 2 cups ricotta cheese, mixed with two eggs and about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
  • mozzarella cheese


Set all of this up beforehand, and make a space where everyone can reach everything. Hopefully your options are bit more capacious than mine.

What you'll do:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. 
  2. Spray a cupcake tin with olive oil spray. 
  3. Start with a wonton wrapper, then add a spoonful of the ricotta mixture. From here, you can add a spoonful of the meat or veggies, then add a spoonful of sauce (red or white or both). Then a sprinkle of mozzarella. 
  4. Put another wonton wrapper down, and start the layers over. End with a heaping sprinkle of mozzarella. 
  5. The only rules are start with a wonton wrapper and end with mozzarella cheese. Other than that, layer as you please. 
  6. Once all the cupcakes have been filled, bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. 
  7. Let them rest for a couple minutes, and they should slide right out of the cupcake tin.


 First layer in. 

 Layer it, girl! 

 All cheesed up and ready to go. 

 Yuuuuummmm. 

Final Product


I ended up with 30 cupcakes, so I froze a bunch for lunches this fall. I'm made lots of different combinations, so I'm looking forward to the surprises I'll get when I defrost them.  


FYI: They are about 150 calories per cupcake, less if you go meat-less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment