Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Teacher Gene


When I became a teacher, I, like all evolutionary creatures, adapted to the new environment. Early mornings don't bother me anymore; in fact, I rarely sleep in now. I have have done my best to learn the teenage jargon, so I can stay relevant to my students. It's still swag, right?  But the biggest change I have noticed has been the discount gene.  Six years ago I did not have this gene, but I am now always on the lookout for things on sale.  I have priced checked dry erase markers at least 1,762 times since becoming a teacher, and I now have eagle-eye vision for cheap tchotchkes for my prize box.  I am coming to terms with the fact that I have become that person who scours the discount bin and can't pass up a good deal. 

How this relates to anything:  I recently HAD TO buy a package of mushrooms (30 cents, yo) and a bundle of yellow squash (Which I don't particularly enjoy, but at 60 cents, I couldn't deny them a place in my basket.).  And they sat in my fridge, waiting for inspiration to strike.

And strike it did.  I introduce "Clean out the Fridge Stuffed Veggies".  I was not expecting a lot out of this meal, and boy, was I surprised.  The squash was delightful.  And the possibilities for fillings are limitless.  I might actually have to buy some more squash at regular price just so I can make this dish again. 

Clean out the Fridge Stuffed Veggies


Ingredients:
  • Veggies that can act as vessels (I used yellow squash and mushrooms. I could see tomatoes, zucchini, and green peppers working well too.)
  • Items to stuff into the veggies (I used roasted kale, green peppers, onions, and ground turkey. Dream big here. Or just use whatever is on its last leg in your fridge.)
  • Marinara sauce
  • Cheese (I used mozzarella.)
  • Bread crumbs
  • Olive oil
Directions:
  1. Scoop out the innards of your vessel veggies. 
  2. Make sure all of the veggies / meats that are going inside are pre-cooked. (I roasted the kale, sauteed the green peppers and onions, and cooked the ground turkey.)
  3. Mix the cooked stuffings, marinara sauce, and cheese together. I went pretty light on the sauce and cheese. You just want something to bind the stuffing together. 
  4. Fill the vessels with the stuffing mixture. 
  5. Moisten the bread crumbs with some olive oil and sprinkle that on top of the vegetables. 
  6. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are brown and the vessels have been cooked to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment