Thursday, June 20, 2013

Aloo Gobish

This week I'm a counselor for Camp Get Fit.  It's a grant-funded program aimed at educating 1st-6th graders about healthy lifestyles.  While I was a little apprehensive about working with younger kids, it's been great so far.  It's been a good refresher for me on things I can do to improve my health as well.

We watched a video about ways to include more fruits and veggies in your diet, and it inspired me to make this dish, aloo gobi (or potato and cauliflower curry).

I dabbled in Indian cooking in my PB (pre-blog) life, but I haven't picked up the garam masala in several years.  But after watching a student in the video talk about potato and cauliflower curry, I decided to get some supplies at the grocery yesterday.

It's safe to say my style of Indian cooking is non-traditional.  This is what I normally do:
Cut an onion and cook it in a pot in oil.  Get out a variety of spices and sprinkle some and dump some into the pot.  Let the spices cook.  Add in a liquid or two.  Then add in veggies to let them simmer until tender.

For this dish, my spices were garam masala, cumin, garlic powder, tumeric, coriander, and curry.  My liquids were coconut milk and tomato juice (last jar, weep!).  And my veggies, potato and cauliflower.  I think aloo gobi is normally served dry, but I decided to make it a little soupier and serve it over rice.

It came together really well.  At the end, I added some salt and lime juice just to brighten the flavors.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I just started dabbling in curried and haven't cooked a killer dish just yet...all I'm using is coconut milk (tried light milk last night and it was totally flavorless), red or green curry paste, and then chicken / veggies / jasmine rice. But it's missing some kick! What would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete