Monday, September 1, 2014

Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal

I have been tweaking this recipe for the past couple weeks, and I think I've finally achieved shareable status. If you like oatmeal for breakfast, you must try baked oatmeal. It does have a little bit of brown sugar in it, but other than that, it uses only healthy ingredients. AND IT TASTES LIKE CAKE! Dangerously so, in fact. I could stand over the stove, eating it right out of the pan (as evidenced in the photograph below).

Do I have your attention? Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 mashed bananas (Use overripe bananas here.)
2 large carrots, shredded
2 cups milk (I used almond.)
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 t vanilla
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 t ginger
1 t cinnamon
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Procedure:
Mix all ingredients except the oats and walnuts. Stir in the oats. Pour into an 8x8 pan. Sprinkle the walnuts on top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.


You can eat it right away, like me. Ahem. Or put in the refrigerator, and you've got breakfast for the week. I like to spoon out a serving and put it in a skillet on medium while I get ready. Once it warms back up and the edges get toasty, I put it in a bowl and pour on a little almond milk. Yum! Dessert for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment