Thursday, June 28, 2012

Camp Cooking Redux

Remember when I told you I was in a shipwreck? Well, I was using the term shipwreck rather loosely. Perhaps boating accident would be more apropos. The most apropos would be to tell you I was canoeing, my canoe capsized, and I got pinned against some rocks. Shipwreck just sounds so mythical and courageous. (Apologies for the exaggeration; it's the Cobb in me.)

Back to the story. The canoeing was part of a weekend camping trip I took with some friends. I took care of the food, and our meals culminated in a delicious breakfast on the last morning. Note to self: make scrambled eggs cooked in an inch of bacon grease part of my last supper. We had a spread: banana chocolate muffins, hash browns, roasted vegetables, and the aforementioned eggs and bacon.

We had way too much food. (I sense a trend here.) So I volunteered to to take home the leftovers. What a martyr I am. The veggies and hash browns were only partially cooked, so I finished them off in the oven and iron skillet, respectively. I topped it with a fried egg. (I curse the broken yolk!)



The smokiness of the fire was still in the veggies and potatoes. I have camp food so rarely that I'm always astonished at the flavor of food cooked over an open flame. If you have a chance this summer, cook a meal over a fire. You won't regret it. And if you do, I volunteer to take your leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment