(Disclaimer: I like superlatives.)
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I worry that anything else I read right now will pale in comparison to the language, characterization, and story telling in this book. It is literally art on paper. Every sentence is beautiful, and you can really appreciate the work that went into making it so, so beautiful.
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. LOVE teaching this! Reading it for the second time in five months, and discovering new things every page.
- Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
- We Are Water by Wally Lamb
- Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple (Fun read, but.......... I guess I didn't read very much last year. #englishteacherfail)
- Dallas Buyer's Club (Oscar or bust for David Wooderson.)
- 12 Years A Slave
- Wolf of Wall Street
- American Hustle
- Zero Dark Thirty
How Did This Get Made?
Last year, I did This American Life episodes. Mixing it up will the much less highfalutin, but much more hilarious podcast with Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas, and June Diane Raphael. They discuss how awesome terrible movies are. I would link each episode, but it's a lot easier to just download from iTunes.
- From Justin to Kelly
- Howard the Duck
- Nothing But Trouble
- Hudson Hawk
Chef Kelly English is responsible for three out of five. It's official. I'm in love.