Monday, January 13, 2014

Immersion Blender, Where Have You Been All My Life?

When it's convenient, I like to pride myself on the lack of technology in my home. Not that I don't love some technology (the television and microwave, in these particular circumstances), but there is a part of me that likes the idea of making what I have work. I'm perfectly happy watching TV on my computer and heating up my spaghetti in a skillet (mmm, crunchy noodles...)

But I received an immersion blender, and Y'ALL! It has changed the way I breakfast, no it's changed the way I live. So forget simple blender living. So not convenient. 


(I blogged 18 months ago about loving the smoothie making with the whey ice cubes. In this post, I did whine about the trouble it takes to clean a blender, and UPDATE: what I still have in my freezer? A baggie full of whey cubes. Why? Because I never made another smoothie....UNTIL NOW!)

In every way the regular blender sucks, the immersion blender shines. It's quick, not messy (i.e., doesn't spill), and gloriously easy to clean. I recommend, recommend, recommend. Since school started, I've been making this smoothie every night: 

Handful of old fashioned oats
Teaspoonish of chia seeds
8 oz of plain non-fat greek yogurt
generous pour of almond milk (maybe a half cup)

Stir it all together and let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the container that comes with the immersion blender. With a ghetto foil lid on top. (Side note: I once rode in a cab in Chattanooga at 3AM with a driver drinking something that looked eerily similar to this. Except I believe she had replaced the almond milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and oats with vodka. Terrifying.)


Back to smoothieing (smoothing?): When you're up and ready to conquer the world the next morning, find your overnight creation, pour in some more almond milk to keep things moving, add in frozen fruit, maybe a half a banana, and a touch of honey, and then blend away. 


What a great way to start off the new year! Thank you to my parents for the gift!

In sourdough news, homemade English muffins are [inaudible sounds]. 




3 comments:

  1. When you blend that much stuff in the blender cup it doesn't spill? I made Bates' pureed baby food in the beginning and found it quite messy if I had too much stuff in the cup. Maybe because it was more solid? I love this idea for smoothies - I've been wanting to make more smoothies and didn't even think about the old immersion blender (because obv I'm not going to pull out the monster blender when I want a quick breakfast). Immersion is also great for soups (as you can imagine).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it doesn't spill. I put the stick all the way at the bottom before I turn in on, and then I only raise it up and down about a half inch as it blends. Perhaps it is a solid food vs. liquid food thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I received an immersion blender, and Y'ALL! It has changed the way I breakfast, no it's changed the way I live. So forget simple blender ... 2immersionblender.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete