What you'll need:
- 1 package wonton wrappers (or egg roll wrappers, cut into four pieces)
- marinara sauce
- white sauce (I made a quick béchamel, then added parmesan cheese, basil, and lemon for more flavor.)
- 1 lb browned ground meat (I used ground turkey and mixed it with some of the marinara sauce post-browning.)
- an assortment of cooked vegetables (I used mushrooms, zucchini, kale, and broccoli.)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, mixed with two eggs and about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese
Set all of this up beforehand, and make a space where everyone can reach everything. Hopefully your options are bit more capacious than mine.
What you'll do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Spray a cupcake tin with olive oil spray.
- Start with a wonton wrapper, then add a spoonful of the ricotta mixture. From here, you can add a spoonful of the meat or veggies, then add a spoonful of sauce (red or white or both). Then a sprinkle of mozzarella.
- Put another wonton wrapper down, and start the layers over. End with a heaping sprinkle of mozzarella.
- The only rules are start with a wonton wrapper and end with mozzarella cheese. Other than that, layer as you please.
- Once all the cupcakes have been filled, bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Let them rest for a couple minutes, and they should slide right out of the cupcake tin.
First layer in.
Layer it, girl!
All cheesed up and ready to go.
I ended up with 30 cupcakes, so I froze a bunch for lunches this fall. I'm made lots of different combinations, so I'm looking forward to the surprises I'll get when I defrost them.
FYI: They are about 150 calories per cupcake, less if you go meat-less.