Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Dangerously Decadent Dip

(Can I get a What What for Christmas Break?  Get ready for more regular posting...at least for the next two weeks!)

I discovered this recipe from my friend Brooke, whom I have known for the last three years.  Brooke is an excellent hostess, and every time she has an event, this onion dip attends.  It is so ridiculously good, I always park myself right by it and play the position of Beater, keeping others from exhausting the supply before I've had my fill.  (Wow. Cue the crazy person music.) 

I made it for the first time for a teacher party this week, and it was a hit!  Side note, I would describe it as "heavily-mayonnaised," so those with a mayo aversion need not apply.  Side note #2, to those with a mayo aversion, you're the crazy ones. 

Warning!  You are now entering dangerous territory!  Once you realize how easy and delicious this dip is, you and I will have a love/hate relationship, because healthy it is not. But addicting it is. 


I'm not sure exactly how Brooke makes hers, but this is what I did, and it turned out very similarly. For those brave enough to handle it, here's the recipe: 

Onion Souffle (just because souffle sounds fancier than dip #francophile)

Peel and quarter one small-medium onion and chop it in the food processor. 

To the onion, add 1 and 1/3 cups parmesan cheese, 

1/3 cup mayonnaise, 

and 2 bricks cream cheese, softened and broken into hunks.

Pulse until everything is mixed well. 

Spread the mixture in an 8x8 lightly-greased dish and bake it at 400 for 30 minutes. 

Make sure it's brown, especially on the edges before you take it out. Like Brooke, I prefer the crispy, semi-burnt parts to the gooey, melty parts. Try both, see what you like! 

Serve with pita chips, bagel chips, fritos, tortilla chips, or any other vehicle of your choice. And inevitably, this will happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment