Monday, January 9, 2012

Chicken Soup x2

My go-to winter soup has always been vegetable beef, but this year I went for something different. I made two quite tasty chicken soups. I'll freeze them in individually containers to take to school for lunch. Here is recipe #1:

Chicken Chickpea Tomato


1 onion, finely chopped
2 T olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
4 t total of various dried green herbs (think rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil, oregano, summer savory; could probably also use Italian seasoning, duh!)
1/2 t coriander
dash of garam masala (optional)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t sugar
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup tomato juice
1 and 1/2 cups leftover roasted chicken
2 cans chickpeas
2 T pesto


Sweat onion in a olive oil until soft and semi-translucent. Add in minced garlic. (Note: I like to mince my garlic, sprinkle salt on it, and let it sit for a couple minutes. Then I scrap the side of my knife blade across the top until it makes a paste.)

Cook for about 30 seconds. I usually turn the heat to low or med-low here to ensure that the garlic doesn't burn. Add in green herbs, coriander, and garam masala. Feel free to switch it up here. You can omit the coriander and garam masala as they might not be on your spice rack, but I really like the warmth they bring. Cook for 3-4 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients except the pesto and chickpeas. Cook about 10 minutes. You can turn up the heat to medium or medium high here. Add the chickpeas. Turn the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 10 more minutes. Stir in the pesto. You can serve it now or keep it on the stove for longer, allowing the flavors to meld.

Serving: Top each bowl with a spoonful of pesto or fresh herbs. Add a grilled cheese sandwich on the side, and call yourself a hero. 



White Chicken Chili coming soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment