Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pizza Pizza Pizza



A few days ago, I decided to combine the two things I've been recently craving into one meal. Welcome to my world, Buffalo Chicken Pizza.

I made two pizzas, so I could test out my two favorite pizza cooking mechanisms in a side-by-side taste off.

I froze half of the whole wheat pizza dough recipe I made last week. (I froze it after letting it rise once.) After an overnight refrigerator thaw, I let it rise again for about an hour.

I divided it in half and made one pizza on the pizza stone and the other in the cast iron skillet.

The verdict: Pizza Stone all the way. And I can't really explain why. It was just somehow better. Don't be fooled by their similar appearance.


Pizza Stone


Cast Iron


Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Ingredients:


2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 T, plus 1 t Frank's Buffalo Sauce
sprinkle of ranch salad dressing mix (optional, but does contribute)
1 T blue cheese dressing (I used Kraft Roka)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
shredded cheddar cheese
blue cheese crumbles
1/2 recipe of whole wheat dough found here


Cook the chicken in this manner:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350.
  2. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and sear in a cast iron skillet with olive oil on medium high heat for about 3 minutes per side.
  3. Pour 1 T Frank's Buffalo Sauce over each chicken breast and bake for about 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
  4. When the chicken has cooled enough to handle, shred it, and mix it with anther tablespoon of the sauce (or more, depending on your tastes) and the slightest sprinkle of ranch dressing mix.
To assemble:
  1. Crank up the heat on your oven to 500 and pre-heat your pizza stone.
  2. Top the crust with the blue cheese dressing and remaining teaspoon of sauce.
  3. Add on the chicken, red onion, and cheeses.
  4. Bake at 500 for about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment